Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pastel Graffiti Drawing

I created this lesson for 6 middle school art classes, all containing a range of students from 6th -8th grade. Drawing from various graffiti style lettering lessons on the web, this lesson focuses on using chalk pastel.

On the first day I introduced the project. Students practiced graffiti letters on white paper and then used pencil on black paper for the first design. On the second day I introduced glue, which students used to trace the pencil line. The next day, students added chalk pastels. Emphasis was on showing space with the letters (through perspective and overlapping) and blending colors. I think they turned out great! Students worked on them for about 5 days total. I sprayed them with fixative outside but you might choose to laminate them instead.






No comments:

Post a Comment